April 5, 2017

Zucchini Meatballs and Spaghetti

This is a huge hit! Not only could I eat these by themselves, like pop one in my mouth and call it day, but my husband said they were good and my 15 year old son thought there was meat in them! Winning! 

 



  • olive or coconut oil


  • 2 garlic cloves, minced


  • 3 medium unpeeled zucchini, grated


  • 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt


  • 1/8 tsp black pepper


  • 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil


  • 1 cup panko breadcrumbs


  • 2 tsp Italian seasoning 


  • 1 large egg


  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese


  • Jar of marinara sauce


  • Whole wheat spaghetti, zoodles, or your noodle of choice



  • DIRECTIONS:
    Heat the oven to 375°F. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with coconut or olive oil spray or brushed on. 
    Add 1 tsp of olive or coconut oil and minced garlic clove in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté 1 minute. 

    Add the grated zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook on high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently.

    Transfer the zucchini to a colander to get rid of any excess water. I use a thick paper towel or cheese cloth to press the excess water out of the zucchini.

    In a mixing bowl, beat the egg and add the Parmesan, breadcrumbs , seasoning, and basil. Combine zucchini into mixing bowl. 

    Form the zucchini mixture into 12 balls about 1 1/2 tbsp each, rolling tightly and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Cook until lightly browned on top, about 20 to 25 minutes.

     

    Heat the sauce in a large deep skillet to warm the sauce hen add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.

     
    * I cooked these with beef meatballs for my family. I added whole wheat spaghetti because since I was serving them zucchini meatballs, I didn't want to push my luck with zoodles also, but this would be ah-maze-ing with zoodles. My son thought there was beef in the zucchini meatballs anyways! 


    Make it vegan: Use 1 flax egg and nutritional yeast as Parmesan.

    Leave A Comment.

    Post a Comment