Hello friends! I've got a quick video to share with you how to eat healthy on a tight budget. I think a lot of times people think that they cannot afford to eat healthy. But, you cannot afford not to! We cannot put a price tag on health. However, I know the struggle is real, stay at home mom here with 3 kiddos in the house. Calorie for Calorie, unhealthy food seems cheaper. But when you really look at it, it's not, and here's why plus my top tips to make your healthy meal plan work for your budget.
- Buy fruits and vegetables that are in season. They are at their peak flavor and nutrition also.
- Know when you can afford to skip the organic option. Some foods minimally absorb any pesticides that come their way, these are called the Clean Fifteen. And then there are the Dirty Dozen, these should absolutely be organic options. You can find these two lists here.
- The store brand of organic is just as good as name brand, and not as costly!
- Buy your staples in bulk. Especially grains, nut butters, spices and oils.
- Don't shy away from frozen fruits and vegetables. They are flash frozen in their peak time for freshness. The nutrients are preserved because there isn't time for the air to deteriorate them. And there's often a store brand!
- Make enough for leftovers! It cuts down on food waste.
- Cook simple with minimal Ingredients.
- Freeze foods before they go bad.
- Shop different stores and sales.
- Meal plan! It eliminates excess food. And you can create meals that use the same ingredients and buy those in bulk.
Cost effective foods:
Seasonal fruits and vegetables
Whole raw almonds
January 5, 2017
December 22, 2016
December 19, 2016
Be the good. Be the change. Be positive. Be uplifting. Be still. Be yourself. Be brave.
I refuse to believe this world has more bad than good. So when I can't find the goodness, I'll be the goodness. And if everyone did this, instead of conforming and participating in rotten behavior, we would see good people EVERYWHERE.
December 17, 2016
Okay y'all! Here's a quickie! 5 moves, first 4 moves are 30 seconds, then a side plank hold for 30 seconds on each side! Then try to get a full minute out of the 6th move, but it's difficult so just do what you can!
Set a stopwatch on your phone! Let me know what you think 😍
December 15, 2016
1 scoop Chocolate Shakeology
1 tbsp Peanut Butter
1 frozen banana
10 ounces unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/4 cup ice
Garnish with peanuts and sprinkle PB powder on top! Enjoy!
I didn't add any greens today, but not to worry 'cause shakeology is more than just protein, it's a blend of 70 superfoods, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, adaptogens, digestive enzymes and yummyness!
December 14, 2016
December 13, 2016
Recipe: Lemon Chicken with Creamy Spinach
Coat chicken breasts in 1-2 tablespoons of chili powder, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. You want it evenly coated.
Add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil to a skillet, brown the chicken on both sides. Remove chicken and set aside. Add 3 gloves of garlic, 2 teaspoons butter (optional) 1/2 cup of half and half, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon wheat flour, juice of one lemon, 2 teaspoons dried thyme, simmer for a few minutes, then add 2-3 cups of baby spinach, simmer for 1 minute and coat all the spinach in sauce. Add chicken back to the skillet and cook in the oven on 400 for 25 minutes.