April 4, 2016

Different challenges call upon a different YOU


I saw this quote this week and it really made me think. We are always saying "be the best version of you." But being the best you might not work for all situations. With every new challenge, you might need to modify and be a different best version of you.

With my regular day to day life, mom, wife, health coach, I feel like I have the best version of me pretty well figured out. I need patience, I need to give love, I need to show respect, I need to be helpful, I need to eat well and live well, I need to be active, I need to be focused. Okay, that chick has it figured out. I know what being the best version of the mom, wife, coach means. Do I struggle at it daily, you betcha. Mostly with Momming. Momming isn't easy. But at least I KNOW what I need to do to be best.

When I'm thinking about the people who I coach into starting a new lifestyle, I think about helping them to adapt. It's a new challenge, one they've never done before, it's going to take a new version of themselves. I tell my fitness peeps, be the best you that you can be! But what does that mean from a health and fitness standpoint? Well, I believe it means trying, failing, trying again. Believing in yourself. Making smart choices when it comes to food and nutrition. Being active everyday. Forgiving yourself when you miss a workout or when you scarf down a chocolate bar. Choosing to live healthy. Choosing to plug into the challenge group daily, to be accountable. Choosing to ask me for help if needed. These are all practices that can be done daily to be successful at this new lifestyle.

Now, where I struggle is my new norm. For those that don't know, my husband and I are welcoming a baby boy in a month. We tried to get pregnant, succeeded, and I was looking forward to this perfect and beautiful pregnancy that I had with my daughter five years ago. NOPE! WRONG! This pregnancy has been a hot mess. I never really felt "glowing" from the very beginning. Truth be told that's how I knew this was a boy! So different from the look and feel I had with my daughter. But then, at 24 weeks, placenta abruption. Not good. Bedrest. Not good. I had 4 weeks of bedrest and then things were looking up. I was able to get up a little. Still pelvic rest, no workouts, no standing for more than an hour, no walking long distances, but hey, I got to get up. Then bam, short cervix. Back on bedrest. Pre-term labor is flipping scary guys. False labor every single day, flipping scary. This has been extremely challenging for me. I'm an active person. Even if not working out, I'm always on the go. I hate to be bored. I thrive on busy-ness. I thrive on being a mom and wife (see number 1!) That's the best version of me! Momming, wifing, fitness coaching. And now, bedrest. I felt like I couldn't even promote my fitness because I don't have any! You guys, I can't do anything, how I am going to LIE HERE on my bed/couch and encourage you to get up and move!?!? How am I going to encourage home cooked meals and show you what's going on in my kitchen when there's NOTHING going on in my kitchen cause I can't cook!? I'm a REAL person. I practice what I preach. What you see is what you get, what you see is really what's going on over here. So I struggled. Bigtime.

Now, I've managed to re-vamp my best version of me a little bit when it comes to coaching. I've got some great new fitness groups going on, I'm working on a HUGE project that you'll soon see, and I've given myself a break. I have a medical reason not to be able to practice what I preach. But I promise you, I will be back at it soon! For now, I'll be your cheerleader, I'll focus on helping you! Even from my couch. The rest, the bedrest, how to be a mom while sitting on my booty, how to be a good wife without being able to move, cook, go on dates, how to deal with the fact that I've gained more weight than I like because I've been on bedrest since 24 weeks, how to do all that... I haven't figured that out yet. But I do know that the most important job I have right now is focusing on the child who's HEALTH is at stake if I move. And keeping this sweet little guy inside is the best thing I can be doing right now. So maybe, just maybe, I should give myself a break and rise to the challenge of sitting (or laying) here cooking a baby and keeping him inside. I mean, I grow humans, that's a pretty big superpower right?


The next level of my life is going to require a different version as well! Eeek, so many changes!!! I would like to see advances in my business, and I will be focusing on being a new mom again while trying to lose weight and to build muscle back (read a little about what bedrest does to muscle tone, you'll know my struggle). But NEXT LEVELS are what propels us, what builds our future, what defines our lives. The next level is a good thing, and requires you to be flexible, and RISE to the challenge!

Do you have a challenge that is calling you to be a different version of yourself? I would love to hear about it!

Leave A Comment.

Post a Comment