21 Days of Recipes, Day 4!
These. Are. Amazing.
3-4 Chicken Breasts
1 jar of clean salsa verde, green enchilada sauce, or tomatillo sauce. I used Sprouts brand Enchilada sauce. When I say "Clean" I mean there's only whole foods inside the jar, no words you cannot pronounce and no sugar.
Low Sodium Chicken Broth
2 large garlic cloves
Whole Wheat Flour
Plain Greek Yogurt
1 large or 2 small avocados
8 Whole wheat tortillas
I cooked my chicken in the crock pot because it's so easy to shred! I covered the bottom of the crock pot in a thin layer of chicken broth, place my defrosted chicken inside, and topped with about 1/4 cup of my clean, green enchilada sauce. Cook on high for 3.5- 4 hours or low for 6.
You'll need about 20 minutes to prep your enchiladas, and then 20 minutes of cook time.
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. In a saucepan, heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Mince 2 garlic cloves and saute them in the coconut oil for about 2 minutes. Next, add 1 tbsp wheat flour and saute on medium for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth, 1/4 cup of chopped white or yellow onion, 2 teaspoons of cumin, a dash of salt and a dash of pepper. Bring to a slow boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt and 1 cup of your green sauce. Add 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro. Mix well.
5. Shred the chicken and chop the avocado. Grate about 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
6. Place a scoop of the prepared sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Cover the bottom of the dish in a light layer.
7. Inside each tortilla, add chicken, chunks of avocado, and a sprinkle of cheese. Seal the ends and roll each enchilada.
8. Pour the remaining sauce over the top and spread evenly. Then add about a cup of cheese over the top of the enchiladas.
9. Bake for about 20 minutes.
10. Enjoy these delicious enchiladas!